Warner Bros. released the first, non-SDCC, non-teaser, full-length trailer this morning and, naturally, people are already divided.
I’ll tell you point-blank: I didn’t love it. But I didn’t hate it, either. As a lifelong fan of some of these characters, it’s a thrill to see them come to life. To a certain degree.
I have my own hangups (the inclusion of Cyborg, Aquaman’s look, Flash’s outfit and apparent lack of maturity and seriousness), but I realize this is simply the trailer. I’ll judge the movie when I see the final, finished product.
However, based on Zack Snyder’s first two forays in this DC Extended Universe, I have reservations. I know I’m not alone and I know there are plenty of people who enjoyed Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. I’m not here to change minds or tell you you’re wrong for liking it. When there’s something you enjoy, be happy it exists.
This is simply my opinion of the two-and-a-half-minute trailer.
Some of what I didn’t like:
- It’s dark. Not in a macabre sense, but in the sense that it’s always gray in this world, always cloudy (even though it looks like the sun does want to show up). And when it’s not cloudy, there’s smoke everywhere.
- I don’t like the look of Cyborg. I realize it’s not going to be easy translating how he looks in the comicbooks to how he’d look “in real life”, and I hope this is pre-release CGI, but it looks more rock-like and angular than tech-like. But I guess that’s why it’s shiny.
- I also don’t like the inclusion of Cyborg on the team. If it’s for diversity’s sake, there are other heroes they could have used. I realize it’s a way to bring Kirby’s Fourth World into this, but Vic Stone is a Teen Titan, man.
- I really don’t like Flash’s outfit. And that Barry Allen reminds me of Bart Allen more than he does of the sometimes stiff forensic scientist I grew up reading.
- I can see myself coming around on Aquaman, but I’m not sure I ever saw him as the gruff, flippant guy he’s shown as here.
- The look. I mean the feel of it being filmed in one green screened room, the special effects where everyone is computer-generated or choppily flying in a wired harness.
And some of what I did like:
- Wonder Woman. She was the shining light of the Man of Steel sequel and it looks like that won’t stop in this movie.
- James Gordon. I’m a fan of J.K. Simmons. I think he’s a great addition to the cast and I hope there’s a lot of him in it.
- The threat. The League isn’t coming together to fight Appellaxians, play chess against Despero, or overcome a planet full of starfish-faced slaves. Darkseid is pretty much as big a threat as there is and worthy of the big screen.
What did you think? Did the trailer put your mind at ease? Did it make you wish it was already November? What are you looking forward to?